- Laura Anderson & Julie Michaels
- Jennifer Brofer & Alan Pietruszewski
- Michael Burke & Ian Wagner
- Nathan Ellis
- Bobby B. Grubic
- Mario Lavin
- Tim Wen & Chidi Onyejuruwa
- Alvaro Ron
- Patrick Wolf & Greg Strasz
- AJ Vargas
*Reminder: Per the Rules of the competition, you may not distribute, use or otherwise publicly display your Entry until August 19, 2014.
PRODUCTION PERIOD ASSIGNMENT BRIEF
To avoid disqualification, it is recommended that you closely review the Official Rules & Regulations for Make Your Mark – A Short Film Competition Presented by the Producers Guild of America and Cadillac. Please ensure that you adhere to all guidelines and specific requirements detailed (in particular, Section 7) prior to submitting your film and forms.
MAKE YOUR MARK, a Short Film Competition Presented by the Producers Guild of America and Cadillac, is characterized by a specific assignment, requiring films to include certain story and thematic elements. The degree to which each film organically incorporates the elements of the assignment will dictate judges’ evaluation of the films’ EXECUTION OF ASSIGNMENT.
The PGA and Cadillac are pleased to honor producer Saul Zaentz in this competition.
“Passion is [the] immeasurable, indescribable factor that separates movie from movie. Passion moves freely across borders, speaks every language and flourishes in every culture. The movement of passion is the most gratifying satisfaction in any moviemaker's life. This happens when you see and hear people all over the world share their laughter, their crying and their sudden gasps at identical screen moments.”
-- Saul Zaentz
Drawing on the spirit of Saul Zaentz’s words above and the signature elements of his filmography, this phase of MAKE YOUR MARK will tap into the power of passion in storytelling. Your short film must incorporate the following specifics:
Setting (choose one)
· Cocktail Party
· War Time Era
Elements/Props (choose three of five; one element must play a significant role within the story)
· sheet music
· stick of gum
Theme (choose one)
1) Passion as Conviction: In Zaentz’s films, a character’s passion often places them at odds with authority, be it political (The Unbearable Lightness of Being), cultural (Amadeus) or institutional (One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest). Typically, this action alters and enriches the world of the characters, though often at great personal cost.
2) Passion as Genius/Obsession: Characters in Zaentz’s films are often possessed of extraordinary skills or charisma, which they employ in the driven pursuit of a larger or exalted goal. Consider the missionaries of At Play in the Fields of the Lord, the lovers of The English Patient, Allie Fox in The Mosquito Coast and the central pairing of Amadeus. (Salieri may not have a genius for music, but he surely has one for vengeance!) Often, Zaentz’s stories turn on the fine line between passion and obsession.
Vehicle integration is not mandatory. If a vehicle is represented, it must be either a Cadillac or an un-badged/generic vehicle. Drinking and driving must not be represented.
For Submissions Support:
Are you up for a challenge?
Clear the Weekend of June 27-29th to make a 3-5 minute film!
your work could be highlighted in a TV spot on
the 2015 Academy Awards®
Registration Deadline is Wednesday June 25th
Entries are limited
- MAKE YOUR MARK, a Short
Film Competition Presented by the Producers Guild of America and Cadillac, is
an epic enhancement of the annual PGA Weekend Shorts Challenge.
- Producers, regardless
of experience, are invited to participate and need not be a member of the PGA to
- All entrants will be
provided the same assignment and will have exactly 51 hours to make and submit
This year’s competition will
honor prolific producer Saul Zaentz and the competition requirements will be
posted on www.MakeYourMarkCompetition.com commencing at
5:00PM EDT/ 2:00PM PDT on Friday June 27, 2014. All short films
must then be completed and uploaded by 8:00PM EDT/ 5:00PM PDT on June 29,
2014. Please note: Previously produced materials will not be
- From all submissions,
ten (10) Semi-Finalists will be chosen who will then compete for the
opportunity to be one of the three (3) Finalists.
of the Top Three (3) Finalists will receive a $30,000 production budget along
with additional resources, plus up to $3,000 to cover travel and accommodations
to Los Angeles (if applicable) where they will create a new short film for the final
phase of the contest. A notable PGA producer
will mentor each filmmaker during this part of the filmmaking process.
- The final winning producer’s
work will be highlighted in a :30 Cadillac TV spot (and the producer credited
by name) airing on the world’s greatest night dedicated to filmmaking – the ABC
telecast of the 2015 Academy Awards®.
Make Your Mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW4z9cFRHEM
Films entered in MAKE YOUR MARK, a Short
Film Competition Presented by the Producers Guild of America and Cadillac
will be evaluated by
celebrity judges and top PGA producers, including:
The Top Three (3) Finalists selected in the MAKE YOUR MARK, a Short Film Competition Presented by the Producers Guild of America and Cadillac will be mentored by:
- Prizes Page
|Bruce Cohen||Gale Anne Hurd||Peter Saraf|
*The competition is open to all producers 18 years of age or older and legal residents of any of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia (except residents of Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Maryland, and North Dakota).
TO ENTER !
Support for your submissions. If you require assistance with submitting to MAKE YOUR MARK, A SHORT FILM COMPETITION PRESENTED BY THE PRODUCERS GUILD OF AMERICA AND CADILLAC or have questions about using Withoutabox, please contact the dedicated Filmmaker Support Team. Filmmaker Support can be reached via the Help Desk form found here: http://www.imdb.com/helpdesk/wabfestspecific
Got questions? Please see the FAQ page. If, and only if, you do not find your answer there, email us at MakeYourMarkCompetition@gmail.com
Congratulations, you now know what you're going to be doing over the weekend of June 27 – June 29. Start getting your team together now; and we look forward to seeing your film!
NOTE: Certification statement, release agreement, and entry agreement documents are available for download at the bottom of the Rules page. Also, if using SAG performers, please see documents available for download at bottom of the Rules page.
TO ENTER, PLEASE FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW:
1. Create a new project in your Withoutabox filmmaker account and title it with your name (ONLY), following the steps below:
-Click on Add A Project from the left-side navigation of your Withoutabox account homepage
-Make sure the project type selected is Film/Video and click continue
-When you get to the Title Original page enter in your name and click save
-Click the Exit button
*Do NOT fill out the remaining sections of the project form.
2. Submit the newly created project to the MAKE YOUR MARK, A SHORT FILM COMPETITION PRESENTED BY THE PRODUCERS GUILD OF AMERICA AND CADILLAC Withoutabox listing to register for the film challenge.
Click Submit Now
Pay the registration fee via credit card
This will officially register you for the competition
Registration must be fully completed by 11:59PM EDT / 8:59 PM PDT on Wednesday, June 25, 2014.
3. Go to www.MakeYourMarkCompetition.com on Friday June 27, 2014 at 5:00PM EDT/ 2:00PM PDT to view the topic of the film challenge. You will have 51 hours to create the film and upload your Secure Online Screener on Withoutabox. (Please allow plenty of time for processing time of your Secure Online Screener Upload.)
4. Please upload your Secure Online Screener on Withoutabox by 8:00PM EDT / 5:00PM PDT on Sunday, June 29, 2014.
Uploads will be cut off at exactly 8:00PM EDT / 5:00PM PDT, so please get the film in early.
5. Upon submission of the Secure Online Screener to Withoutabox please email a copy of the signed Entry Agreement and Certification Statement directly to:MakeYourMarkCompetition@gmail.com. Please include your submission tracking number in the subject line of your email. The Entry Agreement and Certification Statement can be downloaded via the site: www.MakeYourMarkCompetition.com
Please note there will be no refunds on films not completed.
Initial Entries for the MAKE YOUR MARK, A SHORT FILM COMPETITION PRESENTED BY THE PRODUCERS GUILD OF AMERICA AND CADILLAC will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
40% - CREATIVE MERIT (quality of storytelling, script, performances, sheer entertainment value)
30% - TECHNICAL EXECUTION (production values, lighting, sound, effects, innovative use of resources)
30% - EXECUTION OF ASSIGNMENT
For the judging criteria for the Semi-Finalist and Three Finalists round of the competition, please review the competition rules. COMPLETE RULES: LINK HERE
A portion of the proceeds from the entry fees goes to the Producers Guild Foundation, which is a 501 (c) (3) charity. Revenues raised by the competition will be used to further educational outreach for producers and emerging filmmakers through the PGA Foundation.
6) FINAL DATES:
Open for Registration: April 23, 2014 at 7:00PM EDT / 4:00PM PDT
Closed for Registration: June 25, 2014 at 11:59PM EDT / 8:59PM PDT
Production Dates: June 27, 2014 (5:00PM EDT / 2:00PM PDT) through June 29, 2014 (8:00PM EDT / 5:00PM PDT)
10 Semi-Finalists Notified: Semi-finalists will be notified on or about July 29, 2014.
3 Finalists Notified: The finalists will be notified on or about August 25, 2014.
Winner Announcement Date: Public announcement of the winner will be January 24, 2015
PRIZES: VIEW PRIZE PAGE LINK HERE
TERMS & CONDITIONS:
Entrants will be required to, and must sign and submit, an Entry Agreement and Certification Statement with their Entry. The Entry Agreement and Certification Statement are available at: www.MakeYourMarkCompetition.com. The Entry Agreement and Certification Statement must be signed on behalf of all members of the Entrant, and each member hereby authorizes, and by participating herein further authorizes, the ER to so sign on their behalf.
Additional contest details can be found on the FAQ page at: www.MakeYourMarkCompetition.com
Upon submission of the Secure Online Screener to Withoutabox please email a copy of the signed Entry Agreement and Certification Statement directly to: MakeYourMarkCompetition@gmail.com. Please include your submission tracking number in the subject line of your email.