NEWS FOR THE MONTH OF FEBRUARY 2015... (LAST UPDATED FEBRUARY 25, 2015)
1. February 2015 Chair Report
2. GDC Producers Mixer
3. NMC East
4. NMC Northwest
5. Upcoming Events
6. NMC Board: 2014-2015
FEBRUARY 2015 CHAIR REPORT
Hello Fellow Producers...
For those who attended the PGA Oscar Party last week, I think you'll agree it was an excellent event. It also was a great example of collaboration between the Councils and I'd like to thank Emily Barclay Ford for all her months of work in planning the night. More and more you will be seeing more of these collaborations as we move towards ONE GUILD.
This month has been a busy one of planning and I can report we have many interesting events coming in the near future. Some are informative, some are educational, and some are just plain old fun!
- NET NEUTRALITY - Currently the Motion Picture Technology Committee, which is made up of producers from all three councils, took the recommendations of the NMC Task Force and have begun this planning to educate all PGA members about this important subject. Keep an eye out for emails on this coming soon.
- SOCIAL MEDIA 101 - We are planning our first class in April designed to teach best practices to producers looking to engage audiences via Social Media. This event will include reps from the different platforms as well as producers who have been successful in this area. Other upcoming classes planned are in Mobile and Transmedia.
- ACTIVATION MIXER - We are looking to lock a date, but stayed tuned for an event unlike anything we've had before. This Activation Mixer is designed for the NMC Member who wants to get involved in the Guild, but doesn't know where to begin. You'll have an opportunity to meet the NMC Board Members and Committee Chairs and also sign up for opportunities to serve.
- NMC BOARD ELECTIONS - We are currently forming our Nominations Committee to begin the process of selecting candidates for the NMC Board Elections, the winners of which will be announced at the General Membership Meeting during the Produced By Conference in May. If you are interested in being considered, please email me (email@example.com) no later than March 6.
- PGA @ GAME DEVELOPERS CONFERENCE (GDC) - Please check out the details in the events section - we're looking forward to reaching out to the Gaming Producers community to join the Guild. If you're in San Francisco March 3 - 5, please check out the events or email me to get involved.
Speaking of the PRODUCED BY CONFERENCE, did you know that registration has already opened up? Please check this link for all the info - http://producedbyconference.com/la2015/.
GDC PRODUCERS MIXER
Game Developers Conference
Join the NMC at GDC!
GDC is THE big conference of the year, and the NMC will be there. Join us for a lively mixer and a killer panel!
Mixer: March 4
5:30pm to 7:30pm
Hogwash, 582 Sutter St., San Francisco, CA 94108
Complementary craft beer, wine, and appetizers for PGA members and qualified GDC attendees.
Session Title: So You Want to Be a Producer?
Thursday, March 5, 5:30pm
60 Minute Panel
The Career Development Track will be presented in the Career Center Theater located on the Expo Floor in North Hall. Introduction by NMC board member Deborah Todd; moderator NMC board member Asi Burak; speakers Robin Hunicke, Chuck Hoover, and NMC members David Fox and Dmitri Johnson.
We've kicked off some great programs in the last week for PGA members and NMC members specifically.
Our first ever Need to Know: New Media Skills workshop was sold out and we're adding three more lunch hour dates for our first round on Social Media.
We had the first of our upcoming monthly mixers at Tribeca Tavern and had a great mix of members and potential members from tech, film, TV, and everything in between. Join us on March 19, April 16, or May 21!
We have several great events in development for later in the year, a comedy event, and some fantastic speakers.
Meanwhile, if you want to get involved, learn more, or have ideas for an event or venue, get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org we'd love to hear from you.
NMC East Monthly Mixers (March 19, April 16, and May 21)
Games for Change Festival (at the Tribeca Film Festival, April 21-23)
Comedy Event (March TBD)
Paley Center Event (April TBD)
Christopher Kaminski is the new Vice Chair of the Northwest region. Chris is the creator of the Sagescreen web application that allows Northwest members to plan their screenings schedule.
The Northwest is working hard on recruitment and specifically looking to do outreach in Seattle and Silicon Valley, with hopes to recruit Gaming Producers. Looking ahead to GDC, the NMC is organizing a panel as well as a mixer, more details to come. (see below)
March 3-4, 2015 – BroadbandTV Show in Los Angeles
PGA members attend keynotes and exhibits FREE!
The BroadbandTV show (www.bbtvcon.com) will tackle the most pressing issues related to content democratization, distribution, TV Everywhere strategies, advertising in the digital age, and more. Join leading innovators in the television and entertainment space for two days of in-depth perspectives on the issues that matter. FREE exhibit and keynote passes, as well as discounted full conference passes can be accessed here:
March 4, 2015 – PGA Recruiting Mixer @ Game Developers Conference in San Francisco - 6:30pm, location TBD.
March 6, 2015 - PGA Panel at GDC in San Francisco; Speakers include Robin Hunicke, Chuck Hoover, and NMC Members David Fox and Dmitri Johnson. More details to come.
March 13, 2015 - NMC NW Masterclass in Aerial Photography in San Francisco; details to come.
April 16, 2015 - DATE CHANGE - YouTube LA Space & NMC Mixer; 6:00pm - 9:00pm. Official invite to come with RSVP details.
NMC BOARD: 2014-2015
John Heinsen – Chair
Gary Bryman – Vice Chair
Felicia Wong – Vice Chair
Deborah Todd – Secretary
Emily Barclay Ford - Secretary