NEWS FOR THE WEEK OF AUGUST 26TH...
1. Producers Channel Video of the Week: "How Not to Get Sued" from Produced By: Los Angeles 2015
2. Attending the Toronto International Film Festival? Join Fellow Producers at a Panel and Cocktail Reception
3. Now Available for Your Reading Pleasure: Board Minutes!
4. Send Us Your "Best On-Set Photo of All Time" and Have It Printed in Produced By Magazine!
5. An Important Reminder Regarding Safety on Set
6. PGA Anonymous Suggestion Box
7. Changes Have Been Made to the PGA Membership Requirements
8. PGA Policies: Logos & Committees
9. Be a Producers Mark Advocate
10. Now You Can Search Fellow Members on the Job Board
11. Printable Temporary Membership Cards Available
12. Job Email Notifications Available
13. PGA Members Get Great Discounts for Software, Tiffany, Apple Products
14. Welcome New PGA Members (UPDATED JULY 29!!!)
15. Industry Discounts
PRODUCERS CHANNEL VIDEO OF THE WEEK: HOW NOT TO GET SUED FROM PRODUCED BY: LOS ANGELES 2015
Watch this member-exclusive primer on essential topics such as clearances and copyrights, on-set safety, contracts and deal memos, expectations of unions and guilds, exempt and non-exempt employees, and security and cybercrime. To watch it go to http://bit.ly/1V8tSFT. You will need to sign in using your PGA username and password to watch.
GOING TO THE TORONTO INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL?
THE PGA INTERNATIONAL COMMITTEE, EP FINANCIAL SOLUTIONS & CANADA FILM CAPITAL INVITE YOU TO ATTEND:
The Third Annual Panel & Cocktail Reception - Sunday, September 13
Time: 5:00pm to 6:00pm – Panel
6:00pm to 8:00pm – Reception
Location: The Spoke Club
600 King Street West
Toronto, M5V 1M3
Mix and mingle with your fellow producers at a cocktail reception with passed hors d'oeuvres. More details on the panel and an RSVP address will follow.
NOW AVAILABLE FOR YOUR READING PLEASURE: BOARD MINUTES!
One of the biggest take-aways from the member survey we conducted last year was how hungry our membership is for information about the Guild—its initiatives, its leadership priorities, and its plans for the future. In order to give our members more transparent insight into the inner workings of the PGA, we will be posting the minutes on producersguild.org from all subsequent meetings of the Council Boards of Delegates and the National Board of Directors.
The minutes can be found under the "Members" menu tab on the PGA home page, or simply by clicking here. We've only just begun the process, so at present, only the most recent meetings of the Council Boards of Delegates are available for review; the minutes for the next National Board Meeting will be posted shortly after it takes place on July 13. Please note that the minutes themselves are behind the "membership wall;" you will have to be logged in to the site in order to view them.
We can't promise that our meeting minutes will be gripping page-turners; we'll leave that to the scripts you're busy developing. But we hope you'll take advantage of this new feature, and that it will prompt an even deeper sense of connection to and engagement with your Producers Guild.
SUBMIT YOUR BEST ON-SET PHOTO OF ALL TIME AND GET IN PRODUCED BY MAGAZINE!
Do you think you have the best on-set photo of all time? Send it to us! We'll showcase the best of the best in upcoming issues of Produced By magazine.
Get more details: http://www.producersguild.org/?page=best_on_set_photo
A REMINDER REGARDING SAFETY ON SET
On March 24, 2015, following the tragic railroad accident that occurred in Jesup, Georgia in 2014 resulting in the death of one crew member and injury to six others, the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) issued a safety recommendation to the film industry asking that the Producers Guild of America (PGA) and other industry organizations remind producing team members that "(1) railroads are private property requiring the railroad's authorization to enter and (2) that, if authorization is given, everyone on scene must follow the railroad's safety procedures to reduce hazards." See NTSB Safety Recommendation R-15-13 at www.ntsb.gov.
The PGA is concerned about the health and safety of those involved in connection with every production, not just productions involving the use of private property or, specifically, railroad property. The PGA hereby reminds all producing team members that the use of private property for production purposes of any kind requires the advanced authorization of the property owner. If such authorization is obtained, anyone accessing the property and its surrounding areas must follow the safety procedures provided by the property owner in order to reduce potential hazards to those on or near the property. This authorization is particularly important when the property being accessed involves dangerous activity, as is the case when filming at or near locations that include airplanes, trains, vehicles, or moving objects of any kind, or property that is otherwise inherently dangerous. If producing team members intend to film on public property, the PGA asks that all involved be aware of potential risks that may prove hazardous to those on or near the production and asks that all appropriate precautions be taken.
PGA ANONYMOUS SUGGESTION BOX
PGA members, welcome to the anonymous suggestion box.
You must be signed-in in order to use this feature, since we are only collecting feedback from members, but your suggestions are completely anonymous.
Do you have issues or suggestions for the structure of the Producers Guild? Are there things that you would like to see changed? Please submit your feedback and suggestions using the following page.
CHANGES TO THE PGA MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENTS
After extensive review of the PGA membership requirements, the Membership Committee, Constitutional Committee, and National Board of Directors, have implemented changes which impact all three councils. The list below is a summary of those changes and new criteria. If you plan on serving as a PGA sponsor in order to recommend a co-worker or colleague for membership we strongly encourage you to read through the new requirements.
• Time: Qualifying work is limited to projects broadcast/distributed within the last 5 years for television and new media; 7 years for feature films.
• Feature Films: Clarified/added to qualifying digital platforms and film festivals; festival qualifications now apply to all recognized credits, not just Producers Council.
• Short Films: The Guild now recognizes short films with qualifying releases for membership; review requirements page for specifics.
• Long Form/Episodic Television: Clarification on streaming subscriber services (Netflix, Hulu, etc) as a broadcast equivalent.
• Non-Episodic Television: Change language from 26 air weeks to 100 aired episodes.
• New Media: Significant changes made to criteria for broadband producers; review requirements page for specifics.
• Branded Content: While the Guild still doesn’t accept commercial credits, we will now consider branded content credits provided that they involve storytelling or have a strong narrative through-line and are not long-form ads.
• Minimum Payment Option: The MPO is no longer an option available for new applicants; 100% of applicable fees are now due at the time of application.
PGA POLICIES: LOGOS & COMMITTEES
We ask our members to please take note of the Producers Guild’s official policy regarding its logo. Please correct any improper personal usage of the PGA logo; if you see the logo being used improperly elsewhere, please refer the relevant individual to this page and (if necessary) PGA staff. We recognize that the vast majority of improper usage arises from an innocent desire to promote the user’s membership in the Guild. Obviously, we wish our members to be proud of their PGA membership and to advertise themselves as members. But the unregulated use of the PGA logo—especially in the digital age—carries risks. As such, in our efforts to maintain and preserve the integrity of the PGA brand, the Guild expects its members to adhere to the following policy:
• Although we strongly encourage and approve members’ indicating their PGA membership within the body of their resumes, the PGA logo may not be used or inscribed on member resumes.
• The PGA logo may not be included on members’ business cards, except insofar as such cards are provided to the member by the PGA office for Guild-specific business purposes.
• Members may not append the PGA logo to personal correspondence, particularly email correspondence. The Guild recognizes one exception to this policy: Officers serving on the National Board of Directors (PGA President, Council and Regional Vice Presidents, Treasurer and Secretary of Record) are permitted to utilize the PGA logo on correspondence.
• The use of the PGA logo on Guild-related promotional materials is permitted, but only when so authorized by a director-level member of the PGA staff. Director of Member Benefits Kyle Katz should be the primary point of approval for such usage.
This message and policy is also posted on the Producers Guild website under Member Resources.
Furthermore, a brief message regarding Producers Guild Committees: The designation of "Committee” is applied and approved only by the Guild’s National Board of Directors. A group of members (either formal or informal) that has not received this official Board approval may not call itself a PGA Committee. For an official list of all Board-approved Committees, please refer to this page. If you are a member or Chair of a "Committee” not on this list, please consult with Supervisor of Communications Chris Green to help determine a proper designation or title for your group.
BE A PRODUCERS MARK ADVOCATE
PGA Members, help advocate the Producers Mark! Use the Twitter hashtags #producersmark and #pga and follow us @ProducersGuild.
Learn more about the Producers Mark at ProducersMark.com and this blog post.
YOU CAN SEARCH FELLOW MEMBERS ON THE JOB BOARD!
After logging in, you can now click the "Find Members" navigation button to browse, search, and even message fellow members.
You can even filter by things like Job Expertise and Location Experience; by the same criteria that you can indicate on your own Employer Search Preferences page.
Stay tuned as we stay committed to improving the Job Board.
PRINTABLE TEMPORARY MEMBERSHIP CARDS AVAILABLE!
If your membership card is expired, lost, or missing and your new card/renewal sticker has yet to arrive, you can now print out a temporary card.
To print your card, sign in to your online account on the PGA site. Then go to this link - https://www.producersguild.org/members/MembershipCard.aspx - and click the Print button.
The temporary card includes your name, ID number, 'valid through' date, and profile headshot (if you've uploaded one).
This printable membership card is only intended for short-term use as needed until your replacement card/renewal sticker arrives as part of the next monthly mailing.
JOB EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS AVAILABLE!
The Producers Guild has heard your requests and is happy to announce the inclusion of Job-Seeker Email Notifications for the new Job Board.
Under the "Your Info & Availability" section there is a new page titled "Notification Preferences" where you can select the appropriate Job Categories and Job Titles.
For any new job board listing that contains any Job Category OR Job Title you select, you will be sent an email notification of the posting. Email notifications will be sent out Monday through Friday at 5:00pm PT.
To report any difficulties or bugs, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
PGA MEMBERS GET GREAT DISCOUNTS!
Did you know that PGA members are offered discounts at a variety of businesses including hotels across the United States, a host of stores including Tiffany & Co. and much more?
To find out more see the entire listing below under "Industry Invites and Discounts" or log in to the PGA website. Under "Member Central" in the top navigation, click on "Benefits". At the top of the Benefits page, select "Discounts & Special Offers” from the "More in this Section” drop-down menu.
Or just click here!
WELCOME NEW PGA MEMBERS (UPDATED JULY 29!!!)
View a fully updated for July list of the Guild's newest members. If you recognize any of these names, we urge you to do the right thing: Welcome them to the PGA.
INDUSTRY INVITES AND DISCOUNTS
PGA MEMBERS RECEIVE 20% ON TRANSCRIPTION SERVICES FROM IT'S RAINING KATS & DOLLS
It's Raining Kats & Dolls Transcription Services has been serving the entertainment industry for almost 15 years, providing dailies transcription, rough cut/fine cut script conforms, and As Broadcast scripts for some of cable's biggest shows, from Lockup to Wahlburgers and Deion's Family Playbook to Naked & Afraid.
We're offering a 20% discount to PGA members on your first project with us. We provide accurate, verbatim transcripts. Owned by AP Council member Kathleen Johnson, It's Raining Kats & Dolls is staffed with native English speakers that know American slang. Many of our competitors offshore to foreign countries where English may not be the primary language. You can be assured that you'll have high quality transcripts going into the editing bay and industry standard scripts that meet deliverable requirements for most networks coming out of post. Please contact us at 818-505-6567 or email@example.com for a project quote and mention you're a PGA member. You can also check us out at www.rainingkat.com. We've got you covered!
ZIPCAR: PGA MEMBERS RECEIVE 15% OFF DRIVING RATES & $35 OFF THE ANNUAL FEE!
Zipcar, the world’s largest car-sharing company with cars parked right in your city, is offering membership to all PGA members for just $25/year (normally $60) as well as discounted driving rates (15% off)!
Rates include gas and insurance and with low overnight rates available. The Zipcar fleet has over 20 makes and models from Pick-up Trucks to help you move to MINI Coopers to get you to the beach.
Zipcar is like owning a car without any of the hassles and you can use Zipcars in any other city they are in (San Francisco, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Portland, Seattle, Boston, Baltimore DC, Chicago, Toronto, Vancouver and London) Plus we are located at 200+ Universities.
Already a Zipcar member? Want to take advantage of the discount?
No worries, we can switch your account over. To do this please contact members service at 866-494-7227 and asked to be added to the Producers Guild account.
Not a member? Add yourself to the account here: www.zipcar.com/pg.