NEWS FOR THE WEEK OF AUGUST 20TH...
1. Registration Now Open for Produced By New York!
2. Submissions for the Documentary Motion Picture PGA Awards Now Being Accepted
3. Video Channel Clip of the Week:The Importance of the Producers Mark as discussed by producer
Lydia Dean Pilcher
4. PGA Constitutional Amendments Ratified
5. It's Almost Screener Time - Make Sure You Receive Yours!
6. Have You Checked Out the Latest Member Exclusive Videos?
7. PGA Policies: Logos & Committees
8. Be a Producers Mark Advocate
9. Now You Can Search Fellow Members on the Job Board
10. Printable Temporary Membership Cards Now Available
11. Job Email Notifications Now Available
12. PGA Members Get Great Discounts for Hotels, Software, Tiffany, Apple Products
13. Welcome New PGA Members (Updated May 28)
14. Industry Discounts
START SPREADING THE NEWS. REGISTRATION NOW OPEN FOR PRODUCED BY: NEW YORK!
New York-based producers and team members, rejoice! The PGA’s newest conference, Produced By: New York, is coming to the Time Warner Conference Center on Saturday, October 25… and you’re first in line for registration. Of course, it’s not only NYC producers who can register; Produced By: New York is open to all PGA members, as well as the general public. But if you were looking for an excuse to head to the Big Apple this fall, here it is, on a silver platter.
Produced By: New York will be a one-day event featuring a dozen conference sessions, as well as a selection of Produced By’s trademark Mentoring Roundtables. The event will feature such New York film, and television and new media mainstays as Harvey Weinstein, James Schamus, Tom Fontana, Lydia Dean Pilcher, Terence Winter, Peter Saraf, Stephen Totilo and Donna Gigliotti. Chaired by PGA East members Blaine Graboyes, Dana Kuznetzkoff, Benjamin Lehmann and Bruce Cohen, Produced By: New York allows PGA East members to share in the excitement and energy (not to mention the networking and cutting-edge information) of the PGA’s west coast Produced By conferences.
Of course, the conference program is still being assembled. That means that today’s registration is for a slot to attend the event, not reservation for specific conference sessions. But here’s the good news: Early registration for Produced By: New York means that you’ll be first in line to select your conference sessions when they become available. We give our early registrants a full day to register for their top-priority speakers and sessions before opening the field to everyone else. So that’s our advice: Register today at producedbyconference.com, and get your pick of sessions when the schedule is announced.
CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE PRODUCED BY: NEW YORK PAGE, and we’ll see you at the Time Warner Conference Center in October!
ACCEPTING DOCUMENTARY MOTION PICTURE SUBMISSIONS FOR THE 26TH ANNUAL PRODUCERS GUILD AWARDS
The Producers Guild of America is seeking Documentary Motion Picture submissions for the 26th Annual Producers Guild Awards, to be held on January 24, 2015, at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza in Los Angeles. The Producers Guild Awards celebrate and honor the year's outstanding producing work at one of the award season’s marquee events. Over the years, we’ve been very proud of our Guild’s selections in the Documentary Motion Picture category, which have included We Steal Secrets: The Story of Wikileaks, Searching for Sugar Man, Man on Wire, Sicko, and Waiting for Superman.
To submit your documentary film for award consideration, please apply online by completing a Notice of Producing Credits form at www.producersguildawards.com. The Producers Guild of America does not charge a submission fee for motion picture entries.
To be eligible for the category of Documentary Motion Pictures, a motion picture must adhere to the PGA Rules and Procedures, which can found by clicking here. Please review these Rules thoroughly before submitting your motion picture.
The deadline to submit a Notice of Producing Credits form and the required 20 DVD screeners of the entry is September 5, 2014. A late fee of $150.00 will be assessed on any films that are submitted between the dates of September 6, 2014 and September 19, 2014. No films shall be accepted after September 19, 2014. If your film has, however, already been released, we encourage you to submit your screeners immediately. All DVD screeners must be sent to:
Producers Guild of America
c/o Nikki Livolsi
8530 Wilshire Blvd., Ste. 400
Beverly Hills, CA 90211
In order to make certain that we have a robust field of nominees in the documentary category, we welcome as many submissions as possible. Thus, please feel free to forward this email to any colleagues who may have a documentary they would like to submit. Please note that the Guild will only consider documentary features; there is no category for documentary shorts at this time.
We look forward to receiving your submissions! If you have questions, please direct them to Erin Staley at email@example.com or by phone at (310) 358-9020, ext. 112.
PGA VIDEO CHANNEL CLIP OF THE WEEK
THE IMPORTANCE OF THE PRODUCERS MARK
Producer Lydia Dean Pilcher (TALENTED MR. RIPLEY) speaks about the importance of the Producer's Mark.
CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENTS RATIFIED
The PGA would like to thank all of its members who voted in the recent balloting to ratify proposed changes to the PGA Constitution. We are pleased to announce that all proposed changes were ratified, and the fully amended text of the Constitution will be posted on the PGA's website by the end of this week.
IMPORTANT SCREENER INFORMATION FOR ALL PRODUCERS GUILD OF AMERICA MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THE INFORMATION BELOW CAREFULLY
Receiving DVD screeners for feature films under awards consideration is one of the most popular benefits of PGA membership. As such, we want to make sure that all of our members are in a position to take full advantage of this benefit. In order to receive DVD screeners for the 2014 awards season, PGA members must fulfill these simple requirements:
PAY YOUR DUES:
• Unless you are current on your membership dues you will not receive screeners.
• Several email notifications are sent alerting current and delinquent members to pay their dues. If you received this notice and haven’t paid your dues, please log in to your online account at www.producersguild.org in order to settle your dues.
• If you become current during the time screeners are being sent to the membership, you will begin receiving your screeners approximately 2-3 weeks after receipt of payment. You will not retroactively receive screeners that you may have missed due to delinquent payment.
CURRENT EMAIL ADDRESS:
• In order to ensure that you receive all notifications and updates concerning the screener awards season you should ensure that you have a valid/current email address with the PGA.
• Please log into your PGA online account to verify and update your email address as needed.
• In addition, you should add the "firstname.lastname@example.org” email address suffix to your safe list in order to ensure email notifications from the PGA are sent to your inbox and not your trash/junk/spam folder.
SIGNED SCREENER AGREEMENT:
• The Guild must have a signed screener agreement on file for each member. The agreement certifies that the member is aware of the legal responsibilities and restrictions that govern the receipt and possession of screeners.
• You only need to sign this form once during your PGA membership, so if you’ve submitted a screener agreement in the past, do not resubmit a new one for this year. You only need to sign this agreement once and it remains effective throughout your membership. The agreement form can be found here:
Print your name neatly, then sign and fax the form to (310) 358-9520.
CURRENT SCREENER MAILING ADDRESS/BLU-RAY PREFERENCE:
• The mailing lists used by the studios to send screeners are taken directly from the PGA database. You must have a current SCREENER ADDRESS listed in your online profile of the PGA website in order to ensure that screeners are mailed to the correct location. Members are responsible for keeping their SCREENER ADDRESS CURRENT. Screener Address fields are under the "Additional Information” heading in your online profile.
• The screener address you provide must:
- Be a location where an individual (does not have to be you) is physically present to sign for the delivery. FEDEX and UPS will not leave screeners at your door and they will return any undeliverable screeners to the sender (usually within 24 hours).
- Be a STREET address. Screeners will not be delivered to P.O. boxes.
• Please log into your PGA online account to verify and update your SCREENER ADDRESS as needed.
• Members are able to maintain more than one address in their online account. This includes a primary address, business address and a SCREENER ADDRESS. If you haven’t already, please log into your account through the PGA website and fill in your screener address. If you do not list a screener address, your primary address will be used as a default and will serve as your screener address as well.
• We now have a field in which you can indicate your preference to receive Blu-ray screeners. Most studios do not send Blu-rays yet. However, if they do, your preference will be noted.
To update your screener address, follow these instructions:
1. Log into the site with your username and password.
2. Go to any page of the site other than the home page.
3. On the right side is a box titled My Profile. Click on the "Manage Profile" link.
4. Click on the "Edit Bio" icon under INFORMATION & SETTINGS section.
5. Scroll down to the section titled "Additional Information”. There you will see fields for your screener address. Complete those fields and click the "Save Changes” button at the bottom of the page.
As you may already know, the screeners are never sent directly from the PGA offices. All screeners are sent to you from mailing houses selected by the studios. Although we do everything we can to make sure you receive your screeners, occasional complications may occur. While we will help to resolve any oversights, the final responsibility for rectifying any issues lies with the studio.
We appreciate your diligence in addressing the requirements listed above, and look forward to enjoying this year’s rich and exciting awards season along with you.
MEMBERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR FULFILLING THESE REQUIREMENTS IN ORDER TO RECEIVE SCREENERS.
HAVE YOU CHECKED OUT THE LATEST MEMBER EXCLUSIVE VIDEOS?
- 3D 101: A Master Class
- The Future of Journalism (Full Panel)
- Adtech: What New Media Producers Need to Know About the Next Generation of Advertising
- Crossover Producing (Full Panel)
- Moviola: From Production to Post
PGA POLICIES: LOGOS & COMMITTEES
We ask our members to please take note of the Producers Guild’s official policy regarding its logo. Please correct any improper personal usage of the PGA logo; if you see the logo being used improperly elsewhere, please refer the relevant individual to this page and (if necessary) PGA staff. We recognize that the vast majority of improper usage arises from an innocent desire to promote the user’s membership in the Guild. Obviously, we wish our members to be proud of their PGA membership and to advertise themselves as members. But the unregulated use of the PGA logo—especially in the digital age—carries risks. As such, in our efforts to maintain and preserve the integrity of the PGA brand, the Guild expects its members to adhere to the following policy:
• Although we strongly encourage and approve members’ indicating their PGA membership within the body of their resumes, the PGA logo may not be used or inscribed on member resumes.
• The PGA logo may not be included on members’ business cards, except insofar as such cards are provided to the member by the PGA office for Guild-specific business purposes.
• Members may not append the PGA logo to personal correspondence, particularly email correspondence. The Guild recognizes one exception to this policy: Officers serving on the National Board of Directors (PGA President, Council and Regional Vice Presidents, Treasurer and Secretary of Record) are permitted to utilize the PGA logo on correspondence.
• The use of the PGA logo on Guild-related promotional materials is permitted, but only when so authorized by a director-level member of the PGA staff. Director of Member Benefits Kyle Katz should be the primary point of approval for such usage.
This message and policy is also posted on the Producers Guild website under Member Resources.
Furthermore, a brief message regarding Producers Guild Committees: The designation of "Committee” is applied and approved only by the Guild’s National Board of Directors. A group of members (either formal or informal) that has not received this official Board approval may not call itself a PGA Committee. For an official list of all Board-approved Committees, please refer to this page. If you are a member or Chair of a "Committee” not on this list, please consult with Supervisor of Communications Chris Green to help determine a proper designation or title for your group.
BE A PRODUCERS MARK ADVOCATE
PGA Members, help advocate the Producers Mark! Use the Twitter hashtags #producersmark and #pga and follow us @ProducersGuild.
Learn more about the Producers Mark at ProducersMark.com and this blog post.
NOW YOU CAN SEARCH FELLOW MEMBERS ON THE JOB BOARD!
After logging in, you can now click the "Find Members" navigation button to browse, search, and even message fellow members.
You can even filter by things like Job Expertise and Location Experience; by the same criteria that you can indicate on your own Employer Search Preferences page.
Stay tuned as we stay committed to improving the Job Board.
PRINTABLE TEMPORARY MEMBERSHIP CARDS NOW AVAILABLE!
If your membership card is expired, lost, or missing and your new card/renewal sticker has yet to arrive, you can now print out a temporary card.
To print your card, sign in to your online account on the PGA site. Then go to this link - https://producersguild.site-ym.com/members/MembershipCard.aspx - and click the Print button.
The temporary card includes your name, ID number, 'valid through' date, and profile headshot (if you've uploaded one).
This printable membership card is only intended for short-term use as needed until your replacement card/renewal sticker arrives as part of the next monthly mailing.
JOB EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS NOW AVAILABLE!
The Producers Guild has heard your requests and is happy to announce the inclusion of Job-Seeker Email Notifications for the new Job Board.
Under the "Your Info & Availability" section there is a new page titled "Notification Preferences" where you can select the appropriate Job Categories and Job Titles.
For any new job board listing that contains any Job Category OR Job Title you select, you will be sent an email notification of the posting. Email notifications will be sent out Monday through Friday at 5:00pm PT.
To report any difficulties or bugs, please email email@example.com.
PGA MEMBERS GET GREAT DISCOUNTS!
Did you know that PGA members are offered discounts at a variety of businesses including hotels across the United States, a host of stores including Tiffany & Co. and much more?
To find out more see the entire listing below under "Industry Invites and Discounts" or log in to the PGA website. Under "Member Central" in the top navigation, click on "Benefits". At the top of the Benefits page, select "Discounts & Special Offers” from the "More in this Section” drop-down menu.
Or just click here!
WELCOME NEW PGA MEMBERS (UPDATED MAY 28!)
View a fully updated for May list of the Guild's newest members. If you recognize any of these names, we urge you to do the right thing: Welcome them to the PGA.
INDUSTRY INVITES AND DISCOUNTS
ZIPCAR: PGA MEMBERS RECEIVE 15% OFF DRIVING RATES & $35 OFF THE ANNUAL FEE!
Zipcar, the world’s largest car-sharing company with cars parked right in your city, is offering membership to all PGA members for just $25/year (normally $60) as well as discounted driving rates (15% off)!
Rates include gas and insurance and with low overnight rates available. The Zipcar fleet has over 20 makes and models from Pick-up Trucks to help you move to MINI Coopers to get you to the beach.
Zipcar is like owning a car without any of the hassles and you can use Zipcars in any other city they are in (San Francisco, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Portland, Seattle, Boston, Baltimore DC, Chicago, Toronto, Vancouver and London) Plus we are located at 200+ Universities.
Already a Zipcar member? Want to take advantage of the discount?
No worries, we can switch your account over. To do this please contact members service at 866-494-7227 and asked to be added to the Producers Guild account.
Not a member? Add yourself to the account here: www.zipcar.com/pg.