NEWS FOR THE WEEK OF MAY 20TH...
1. Membership Renewal Notices for July 1 Renewing Members Have Been Emailed.
2. PGA Anonymous Suggestion Box
3. Short Takes Is Back
4. Time Is Running Out: Register for Produced By 2015 Now!
5. Register Now - Producers Guild of American Annual General Membership Meeting and Party
6. Video Channel Clip of the Week: Director Successes & Horror Stories
7. Changes Have Been Made to the PGA Membership Requirements
8. PGA Policies: Logos & Committees
9. Be a Producers Mark Advocate
10. Now You Can Search Fellow Members on the Job Board
11. Printable Temporary Membership Cards Available
12. Job Email Notifications Available
13. PGA Members Get Great Discounts for Hotels, Software, Tiffany, Apple Products
14. Welcome New PGA Members (Updated February 11)
15. Industry Discounts Including an Offer from Delta!
MEMBERSHIP RENEWAL NOTICES HAVE BEEN EMAILED!
Membership renewal notices were sent via email over the weekend to members with a July 1 renewal date. If you have not received your notice, please be sure to check your spam folder. If you have any questions regarding your payment, please contact Jo-Ann B. West, Director of Operations, at email@example.com
PGA ANONYMOUS SUGGESTION BOX
PGA members, welcome to the anonymous suggestion box.
You must be signed-in in order to use this feature, since we are only collecting feedback from members, but your suggestions are completely anonymous.
Do you have issues or suggestions for the structure of the Producers Guild? Are there things that you would like to see changed? Please submit your feedback and suggestions using the following page.
SHORT TAKES IS BACK!
Longtime PGA members surely recall Short Takes, the Produced By magazine column that published smart and funny member responses to pressing (and not-so-pressing) questions of the day. As a part of Produced By's coming redesign, this popular column is returning to our pages.
But we need your input! Each installment of Short Takes features a handful of PGA members like yourself. Take a moment to answer our question, and you might just find yourself in the pages of the PGA magazine. Today, the question is:
WHAT'S THE FLAT-OUT WEIRDEST PRODUCTION PROBLEM YOU EVER HAD TO SOLVE?
Everyone knows that sometimes, during production, things get weird. On some level, you're not a real producer until you've spent a day dealing with at least one problem that's waaaaay outside the job description. We want to hear your story. Give us your Take!.
PRODUCED BY CONFERENCE 2015 IS NEXT WEEKEND: DON'T MISS OUT - REGISTER NOW!
The 2015 PRODUCED BY CONFERENCE features the most exciting lineup of industry speakers this summer. When was the last time you spent the weekend with Reese Witherspoon, Tyler Perry, Kevin Smith, Eva Longoria, Jason Blum and his team from Blumhouse Productions, the Executive Producers of Empire, Stephanie Allain, Kenya Barris, Ian Bryce, Carlton Cuse, Susanne Daniels, Tracey Edmonds, Jennifer Fox, David Friendly, Howard Gordon, Mark Gordon, Marshall Herskovitz, Gary Lucchesi, Laurence Mark, Lori McCreary, Chris Moore, Bruna Papandrea, and Sanjay Sharma? At Produced By 2015, you can join them and dozens of other top producers, executives and industry professionals working in film, television, and digital media.
In case you'd forgotten, Produced By sells out EVERY year! If you're looking for a way to take your producing career to the next level, look no further. Conference attendees will take part in an incredible variety of panel discussions, mentoring roundtables, and networking events. How can producers get access to China? What are non-scripted TV buyers looking for? How do you get the rights to and develop a biopic? How are today's small-screen series redefining horror storytelling? How can I choose the best screenwriter for my project? What are the different ways to get my independent film distributed? How can I use the social web to distribute my content? What states are offering the friendliest production incentives? How do I set up the most efficient digital production workflow? How can I develop partnerships with brands to create and distribute content? How do I break into producing video games? Are my pitching skills any good?
Getting answers to these questions means you're just scratching the surface of what will be covered at this year's PRODUCED BY CONFERENCE. Like every year, it's a lineup you won't want to miss.
Produced By is a one-of-a-kind event. We can’t wait to see you at Paramount.
Visit www.producedbyconference.com and register today!
Like us on Facebook: producedbyconference
Follow us on Twitter: @ProducedBy
REGISTER NOW! PRODUCERS GUILD OF AMERICA ANNUAL GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING AND MEMBERS PARTY
The PGA's annual General Membership Meeting & Members Party is coming up soon, and we're sure you won't want to miss it!
This year's General Membership Meeting will take place on Friday evening, May 29. We're gathering at 6:45pm at the Paramount Theater on the Paramount Pictures Studio Lot (5555 Melrose Ave, Hollywood, CA. 90038).
After the meeting, members and their guest are welcome to enjoy a Members Party immediately outside the theater featuring Freixenet, Heineken, Jose Cuervo Especial Tequila, Maestro Dobel Tequila, Hangar 1 Vodka, Kraken Rum, Boodles Gin, Stranahan’s Whiskey, Coca-Cola, and Arizona Teas products.
What can you expect of the General Membership Meeting itself? Lots of networking, reports on the PGA's progress, the results of this year's Council elections, and a brief state of the Guild presentation.
It all adds up to a fantastic night, one that will leave you proud to be a PGA member and excited for the future of our Guild.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: PLEASE READ:
- You are welcome to bring one (1) guest to the meeting and party. We are able to accommodate you and one guest only, no exceptions.
- You and your guest must attend the meeting in order to be allowed into the party.
- You and your guest must be on the reservation list to get onto the studio lot.
- Doors will close at 7:30pm. No one will be allowed onto the Lot after that time.
- Attendance at the meeting and the party is absolutely free for each PGA member and one guest.
PLEASE CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW TO REGISTER:
Again, you and your guest must attend the meeting in order to attend the party.
We look forward to seeing you on May 29!
VIDEO CHANNEL CLIP OF THE WEEK: DIRECTOR SUCCESSES & HORROR STORIES
The PGA's top talents discuss collaboration, spotting a good director, and past mistakes.
CHANGES TO THE PGA MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENTS
After extensive review of the PGA membership requirements, the Membership Committee, Constitutional Committee, and National Board of Directors, have implemented changes which impact all three councils. The list below is a summary of those changes and new criteria. If you plan on serving as a PGA sponsor in order to recommend a co-worker or colleague for membership we strongly encourage you to read through the new requirements.
• Time: Qualifying work is limited to projects broadcast/distributed within the last 5 years for television and new media; 7 years for feature films.
• Feature Films: Clarified/added to qualifying digital platforms and film festivals; festival qualifications now apply to all recognized credits, not just Producers Council.
• Short Films: The Guild now recognizes short films with qualifying releases for membership; review requirements page for specifics.
• Long Form/Episodic Television: Clarification on streaming subscriber services (Netflix, Hulu, etc) as a broadcast equivalent.
• Non-Episodic Television: Change language from 26 air weeks to 100 aired episodes.
• New Media: Significant changes made to criteria for broadband producers; review requirements page for specifics.
• Branded Content: While the Guild still doesn’t accept commercial credits, we will now consider branded content credits provided that they involve storytelling or have a strong narrative through-line and are not long-form ads.
• Minimum Payment Option: The MPO is no longer an option available for new applicants; 100% of applicable fees are now due at the time of application.
PGA POLICIES: LOGOS & COMMITTEES
We ask our members to please take note of the Producers Guild’s official policy regarding its logo. Please correct any improper personal usage of the PGA logo; if you see the logo being used improperly elsewhere, please refer the relevant individual to this page and (if necessary) PGA staff. We recognize that the vast majority of improper usage arises from an innocent desire to promote the user’s membership in the Guild. Obviously, we wish our members to be proud of their PGA membership and to advertise themselves as members. But the unregulated use of the PGA logo—especially in the digital age—carries risks. As such, in our efforts to maintain and preserve the integrity of the PGA brand, the Guild expects its members to adhere to the following policy:
• Although we strongly encourage and approve members’ indicating their PGA membership within the body of their resumes, the PGA logo may not be used or inscribed on member resumes.
• The PGA logo may not be included on members’ business cards, except insofar as such cards are provided to the member by the PGA office for Guild-specific business purposes.
• Members may not append the PGA logo to personal correspondence, particularly email correspondence. The Guild recognizes one exception to this policy: Officers serving on the National Board of Directors (PGA President, Council and Regional Vice Presidents, Treasurer and Secretary of Record) are permitted to utilize the PGA logo on correspondence.
• The use of the PGA logo on Guild-related promotional materials is permitted, but only when so authorized by a director-level member of the PGA staff. Director of Member Benefits Kyle Katz should be the primary point of approval for such usage.
This message and policy is also posted on the Producers Guild website under Member Resources.
Furthermore, a brief message regarding Producers Guild Committees: The designation of "Committee” is applied and approved only by the Guild’s National Board of Directors. A group of members (either formal or informal) that has not received this official Board approval may not call itself a PGA Committee. For an official list of all Board-approved Committees, please refer to this page. If you are a member or Chair of a "Committee” not on this list, please consult with Supervisor of Communications Chris Green to help determine a proper designation or title for your group.
BE A PRODUCERS MARK ADVOCATE
PGA Members, help advocate the Producers Mark! Use the Twitter hashtags #producersmark and #pga and follow us @ProducersGuild.
Learn more about the Producers Mark at ProducersMark.com and this blog post.
YOU CAN SEARCH FELLOW MEMBERS ON THE JOB BOARD!
After logging in, you can now click the "Find Members" navigation button to browse, search, and even message fellow members.
You can even filter by things like Job Expertise and Location Experience; by the same criteria that you can indicate on your own Employer Search Preferences page.
Stay tuned as we stay committed to improving the Job Board.
PRINTABLE TEMPORARY MEMBERSHIP CARDS AVAILABLE!
If your membership card is expired, lost, or missing and your new card/renewal sticker has yet to arrive, you can now print out a temporary card.
To print your card, sign in to your online account on the PGA site. Then go to this link - https://www.producersguild.org/members/MembershipCard.aspx - and click the Print button.
The temporary card includes your name, ID number, 'valid through' date, and profile headshot (if you've uploaded one).
This printable membership card is only intended for short-term use as needed until your replacement card/renewal sticker arrives as part of the next monthly mailing.
JOB EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS AVAILABLE!
The Producers Guild has heard your requests and is happy to announce the inclusion of Job-Seeker Email Notifications for the new Job Board.
Under the "Your Info & Availability" section there is a new page titled "Notification Preferences" where you can select the appropriate Job Categories and Job Titles.
For any new job board listing that contains any Job Category OR Job Title you select, you will be sent an email notification of the posting. Email notifications will be sent out Monday through Friday at 5:00pm PT.
To report any difficulties or bugs, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
PGA MEMBERS GET GREAT DISCOUNTS!
Did you know that PGA members are offered discounts at a variety of businesses including hotels across the United States, a host of stores including Tiffany & Co. and much more?
To find out more see the entire listing below under "Industry Invites and Discounts" or log in to the PGA website. Under "Member Central" in the top navigation, click on "Benefits". At the top of the Benefits page, select "Discounts & Special Offers” from the "More in this Section” drop-down menu.
Or just click here!
WELCOME NEW PGA MEMBERS (UPDATED FEBRUARY 11)
View a fully updated for February list of the Guild's newest members. If you recognize any of these names, we urge you to do the right thing: Welcome them to the PGA.
INDUSTRY INVITES AND DISCOUNTS
EXCITING NEW OFFER FROM DELTA!
Enjoy a one-time Delta status match. Use your other elite frequent flyer programs to transfer to Delta SkyMiles® Medallion® status.
If you meet the criteria to participate, you will receive Platinum, Gold, or Silver Medallion status for 90 days, based on your current elite level with another airline. The 90-day period will start when a member's request has been processed. If you register for the offer between July 1, 2014 and June 30, 2015 and you complete the flight requirements, your Medallion status will be maintained until January 31, 2016.
Please click on the link below and start the challenge:
ZIPCAR: PGA MEMBERS RECEIVE 15% OFF DRIVING RATES & $35 OFF THE ANNUAL FEE!
Zipcar, the world’s largest car-sharing company with cars parked right in your city, is offering membership to all PGA members for just $25/year (normally $60) as well as discounted driving rates (15% off)!
Rates include gas and insurance and with low overnight rates available. The Zipcar fleet has over 20 makes and models from Pick-up Trucks to help you move to MINI Coopers to get you to the beach.
Zipcar is like owning a car without any of the hassles and you can use Zipcars in any other city they are in (San Francisco, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Portland, Seattle, Boston, Baltimore DC, Chicago, Toronto, Vancouver and London) Plus we are located at 200+ Universities.
Already a Zipcar member? Want to take advantage of the discount?
No worries, we can switch your account over. To do this please contact members service at 866-494-7227 and asked to be added to the Producers Guild account.
Not a member? Add yourself to the account here: www.zipcar.com/pg.