Produced By Conference Announces Headlining Sessions with Damien Chazelle, Jordan Peele, Oprah,
Thursday, March 23, 2017
Producers Guild of America Announces Headlining Sessions for 9th Annual Produced By Conference in Los Angeles with Damien Chazelle, Ava DuVernay, Shawn Levy, Jordan Peele, Ted Sarandos, & Oprah Winfrey
LOS ANGELES (March 23, 2017) – The Producers Guild of America (PGA) announced today initial headlining sessions for its 9th annual Produced By Conference (PBC) in Los Angeles, which include “360 Profile: 21 Laps Entertainment” with company Founder Shawn Levy, and principals Dan Cohen and Dan Levine; “Conversation With: Damien Chazelle”; “Conversation With: Jordan Peele”; “Conversation With: Ted Sarandos”; and “Conversation With: Oprah Winfrey & Ava DuVernay.” The event takes place Saturday, June 10 and Sunday, June 11, and is hosted by Twentieth Century Fox on its studio lot in Century City, CA.
“360 Profile: 21 Laps Entertainment” is a roundtable with the production company’s Founder and Principal Shawn Levy, President Dan Levine and Executive Vice President Dan Cohen, to discuss projects such as the Oscar®-nominated feature film “Arrival,” the hit box office franchise “Night at the Museum,” and the critically-acclaimed Netflix series “Stranger Things.”
“Conversation With: Damien Chazelle” features an in-depth discussion with the Academy Award®-winning filmmaker about the director/producer collaboration on his critically-acclaimed films “Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench,” “Whiplash,” and “La La Land.”
“Conversation With: Jordan Peele” invites the Emmy®-winning producer/director/writer/actor to share reflections on creating such widely admired projects as his directorial debut “Get Out” and the popular Peabody Award-winning TV sketch series “Key & Peele,” as well as diving into the future for his Monkeypaw Productions.
“Conversation With: Ted Sarandos” features an in-depth discussion with Netflix’s Chief Content Officer who led the transformation of the digital company into an original content powerhouse that is changing the rules of how serialized television is produced, released and distributed globally.
"Conversation with Oprah Winfrey & Ava DuVernay" brings together the global media leader and Oscar-nominated filmmaker for a discussion about their creative partnership as executive producers on their critically-acclaimed OWN television show "Queen Sugar," and their approach to leadership both on the set and within the industry.
Produced By 2017 features a broad range of programming, including mentoring roundtables, workshops and networking events. In addition to the “Conversations With…” and “360 Profile” series, PBC’s conference panels encompass an incredible variety of topics. The program to date includes the following sessions:
· 360 PROFILE: 21 LAPS ENTERTAINMENT
· ANIMATION ODYSSEY: THE JOURNEY FROM MAJOR STUDIO TO INDIE CREATIVE FREEDOM (Sponsored by Box)
· ANATOMY OF A WORKFLOW - MINIMIZING COSTS FOR PRODUCTIONS (Sponsored by Panasonic)
· THE ART AND CRAFT OF PITCHING FOR FILM & TELEVISION
· CONTENT IS KING: MEET THE BUYERS
· CONVERSATION WITH: DAMIEN CHAZELLE
· CONVERSATION WITH: JORDAN PEELE (Sponsored by VER)
· CONVERSATION WITH: OPRAH WINFREY & AVA DUVERNAY
· CONVERSATION WITH: TED SARANDOS (Sponsored by Cinecittà Studios)
· FINANCING YOUR FILM: HOW TO GET YOUR PROJECT MADE OUTSIDE THE STUDIO SYSTEM
· FIVE THINGS EVERY PRODUCER NEEDS TO KNOW ABOUT VIRTUAL REALITY
· HOW THESE NETWORK & STUDIO HEADS ARE TRANSFORMING TELEVISION
· NEW OPPORTUNITIES IN NON-FICTION: DOCS, LIMITED SERIES & ALTERNATIVE PROGRAMMING
· PUTTING TOGETHER YOUR INDIE FILM DREAM TEAM
· SHOW ME THE MONEY: MAXIMIZING VALUE FROM PRODUCER SHARE PARTICIPATIONS (Sponsored by Robinson Granatt LLP and Johnson & Johnson LLP)
· TO CAST OR NOT TO CAST: CHALLENGES AND SOLUTIONS IN INSURING TALENT (Sponsored by HUB Entertainment Insurance)
· TURNING DIGITAL DISRUPTION INTO CREATIVE OPPORTUNITIES (Sponsored by ARRI and Technicolor)
· THE WHOLE WORLD IS WATCHING: PRODUCING FOR A GLOBAL AUDIENCE (Sponsored by Entertainment Partners)
* The above session topics are subject to change.
Confirmed panelists to date are noted below in alphabetical order. Additional speakers will be announced in the coming weeks.
· Stephanie Allain, Principal, Homegrown Pictures, Inc.; "Dear White People" (film and Netflix series), "Hustle & Flow"
· Ian Bryce, Principal, Ian Bryce Productions; "Transformers" Franchise, "Saving Private Ryan"
· John Canning, Chairman, New Media Council, Producers Guild of America; VP, Interactive Experiences, NBC Entertainment Digital
· Damien Chazelle; “La La Land,” “Whiplash”
· Joe Chianese, Executive Vice President, EP Financial Solutions
· Dan Cohen, Executive Vice President, 21 Laps Entertainment; "Stranger Things," "Kin"
· Eric d'Arbeloff, Co-President and Co-Founder, Roadside Attractions
· Moira Demos, Co-Founder Synthesis Films LLC; “Making a Murderer”
· Ava DuVernay, Founder, Array; “A Wrinkle in Time,” “Queen Sugar”
· Tracey Edmonds, CEO and President, Edmonds Entertainment; Co-Host, “Extra”; “Jumping The Broom," "With this Ring"
· David Glasser, Chief Operating Officer and President, The Weinstein Company; “TIME: The Kalief Browder Story,” "Six"
· Jason Goldberg, Chief Creative Officer, Digital and New Media Group/Alternative Content, STX Entertainment
· Carla Hacken, President of Production, Sidney Kimmel Entertainment; “Hell or High Water,” “The Book of Henry”
· Marshall Herskovitz, Partner, Bedford Falls Company; “The Last Samurai,” “thirtysomething”
· Neville L. Johnson, Profit Participation Litigator, Johnson & Johnson LLP
· Glenn Kennel, President and CEO, ARRI Inc.
· Robert Kondo, Founder, Tonko House; “Ratatouille,” “Toy Story 3”
· Dan Levine, President, 21 Laps Entertainment; "The Darkest Minds," "Arrival"
· Shawn Levy, Principal, 21 Laps Entertainment; "Stranger Things," "Arrival"
· Gary Lucchesi, President of the Producers Guild of America; “The Lincoln Lawyer,” “Million Dollar Baby”
· Christie Mattull, Managing Director, HUB International Insurance Services
· Lori McCreary, President of the Producers Guild of America; “Invictus,” "Madam Secretary"
· Deborah McIntosh, Agent, Global Finance and Distribution Group, WME
· Jade McQueen, Managing Director, Media & Entertainment, Box
· Ted Mundorff, President and CEO, Landmark Theatres
· Jordan Peele, Principal, Monkeypaw Productions; “Get Out,” “Key and Peele”
· Tom Quinn, Founder & CEO, NEON; "Citizenfour," "Bachelorette"
· Laura Ricciardi, Co-Founder Synthesis Films LLC; “Making a Murderer”
· Sabrina K. Robinson, CPA, Robinson Granatt LLP
· Lilianne (Lía) Rodríguez, Producer & Lawyer based in Cuba
· Ted Sarandos, Chief Content Officer, Netflix
· Sanjay Sharma, President and Chief Executive Officer, All Def Digital
· Daisuke "Dice" Tsutsumi, Founder, Tonko House; “Ratatouille,” “Toy Story 3”
· Kevin Turen, President, Phantom Four Films; “The Birth of a Nation,” “Arbitrage”
· Angus Wall, Principal, Rock Paper Scissors Entertainment; "Five Came Back," "13th"
· Oprah Winfrey, CEO, OWN and Harpo Films; “Queen Sugar,” “The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks”
* The above speakers are subject to change.
Produced By is the only conference specifically created by producers, for producers. No other event gives producers so many opportunities to network with and learn from top storytellers and decision-makers in the entertainment industry. Early bird registration at a discounted rate is available now at ProducedByConference.com and ends April 15.
In additional to Twentieth Century Fox, official sponsors include AMC Networks; ARRI; BEN, Branded Entertainment Network; Box; Cinecittà Studios; Entertainment Partners; Film US Virgin Islands; Final Draft; HUB Entertainment Insurance; Johnson & Johnson LLP; PRG, Production Resource Group; Panasonic; Produce Iowa; Robinson Granatt LLP; Technicolor; The Molecule; and VER.
Produced By 2017 is chaired by PGA members Ian Bryce, Tracey Edmonds, Marshall Herskovitz, and Rachel Klein. The team includes Supervising Producer Barry Kaplan (EKG, Inc.), Program Director Madelyn Hammond (Madelyn Hammond & Associates), Sponsorship Director Diane Salerno (Six Degrees Global), and Marketing Consultant Kristin Petrovich (Createasphere).
The 2017 Produced By Conference is made possible by The PGA Foundation, The Producers Guild of America’s charitable entity. The Produced By conferences are the cornerstone events that epitomize the Foundation’s core mission, to educate and inspire those working in the producing profession. To review highlights from previous conferences and receive news and the latest programming updates for Produced By Conference 2017, please visit the Guild’s official website and follow its social media channels for the event: